(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Byzantine Churches In Constantinople"

So                            BYZANTINE CHURCHES                        CHAP.
the sanctuary itself, stood afar off; the interior area divided
into nave and aisles by lines of columns ; the semicircular apse at the eastern extremity of the nave for altar and clergy ; and galleries on the other sides of the building to provide ample accommodation for large assemblies of faithful people.
NOTE
Gyllius (De Top. Constant, I iv. c. 9) describes the church as follows: c Quod (monasterium) nunc non ex tat; aedes extat, translata in religionem Mametanam ; in cujus vestibulo sunt quatuor columnae cum trabeatione egregie elaborata 5 in interiore parte aedium utrinque columnae sunt septem virides, nigris maculis velut fragmentis alterius generis lapidum insertis distinctae, quaram perimeter est sex pedum et sex digitorum. Denique earum ratio capitulorum, epistyliorum opere Corinthio elaborata, eadem est quae columnarum vestibuli. Supra illas sex existunt totidem columnae in parte aedis superiore. In area aedis Studianae est cisterna, cujus lateritias cameras sustinent viginti tres columnae excelsae Corinthiae.'
Gerlach (Tagebuch^ p. 217 5 cf. pp. 359, 406) describes it under the style of the church of S. Theodore, for he confounds the monastery of Studius with that of the Peribleptos at Soulou Monastir: cDas ist eine sehr hohe und weite Kirche (wie die unsern); hat zwei Reyhen Marmel-steiner Saulen mit Corinthischen KnSufen (capi-tellis), aufF einer jeden Seiten sieben ; auff deren jeden wieder ein andere S^ule stehet. Der Boden ist mit lauter buntem von Vogeln und anderen Thieren gezierten Marmel auff das schonste gepflastert.* (This is a very lofty and broad church (like our churches). It has two rows of marble columns with Corinthian capitals, on either side seven; over each of which stands again another column. The floor is paved in the most beautiful fashion entirely with variegated marble, adorned with figures of birds and other animals.)
Choiseul Gouffier (Voyage pittoresque en Grke^ ii. p. 477), French ambassador to the Sublime Porte (1779-92), speaks of the church in the following terms: c Dans Fint&ieur sont de chaque c&te* sept colonnes de vert antique, surmonte"es d'une frise de marbre blanc parfaitement sculptfe, qui contient un ordre plus petit et tres bien proportionne* avec le premier. Je ne sais de quel marbre sont ces secondes colonnes, parce que les Turcs qui d£figurent tout ont imagine" de les couvrir de chaux.*
Ph. Bruun (Const ant mop le^ ses sanctuaires et ses reliques au commencement du XFe iikle^ Odessa, 1883) identifies with the Studion one of the churches dedicated to S. John, which Ruy